WHY IS PUBLIC ART IMPORTANT?
Public art helps us celebrate our heritage, communicate our direction, and characterize our sense of place. Public art can be used to activate space and invigorate our community. Thoughtfully implemented art can define Moline and convey our spirit and energy to ourselves and our visitors.
WHY DOES MOLINE NEED A DOWNTOWN PUBLIC ART PLAN?
The Downtown Moline Public Art Master Plan can help unite our city by defining and projecting our essence to the world. Our plan will set the standard for how we begin to implement and enjoy public art throughout downtown while also celebrating our community’s spirit and artistic expressions.
HOW CAN PUBLIC ART TRANSFORM A CITY?
Art provides meaning to our public spaces, reflects the history of our city, adds uniqueness to our neighborhoods, and humanizes our built environment. Public art provides the intersection between our past, present, and future, and also has the power to transform our city. An investment in public art creates a gain in social, economic, and cultural value.
- Social Value: When people see themselves reflected in their civic spaces, they have a sense of attachment that allows them to feel ownership and respect.
- Economic Value: Enhancing the identity and character of Downtown Moline through public art directly supports cultural tourism and economic development strategies, which can attract and retain residents.
- Cultural Value: Public Art has the power to create uniqueness through the reflection of the local history and culture, establishing a sense of place and identity.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN THE PLANNING PROCESS?
Anyone who lives, works, or spends time in the City of Moline is encouraged to be involved in shaping the Downtown Moline Public Art Master Plan. Here’s how:
- Take the survey. Take our Community Character Survey and tell us what makes Downtown Moline unique and special. Click Here To Take The Survey!
- Get creative. Think about what makes Moline interesting, unique, a great place to visit or a great place to call home… then send us those thoughts via photos, renderings, sketches, poems, essays, short stories, ideas, tall tales and one-liners. Just use the “Submit Image or Idea” button in the Public Art menu above.
- Go social. Photograph Downtown Moline, and share your images on Instagram using the hashtag #MyMoline. Use the description section to tell us how your image represents the unique aspects of Downtown – how are we different from our neighbors, and what do we share with them? What reflects our history? What illustrates our future?
- Email us. Contact us anytime using the contact method in the Public Art menu above.
WHAT IS THE TIMELINE FOR THE PLAN?
December 2019 – February 2020: Information Gathering and Research, Project Planning
March – May 2020: Community Input Gathering
June 2020 – March 2021: Master Plan Writing
March 2021: Community Review of Final Recommendations
March 2021: Community Presentation of Final Downtown Moline Public Art Master Plan
VIRTUAL PUBLIC EVENTS
•Public Management Team Meeting: 3/9, 1:30pm
•Planning Commission Meeting: 3/24, 4:00pm
•City Council Meeting: 3/30, 6:00pm
Contact Alexandra Elias if you would like to attend firstname.lastname@example.org
Other questions? Call or email Renew Moline at 309-762-9190.
TELL US ABOUT MOLINE PUBLIC ART
How To Share
- Navigate to area in Moline to drop a pin.
- Click the Green selection button in the top left corner of the map.
- Drop pin where you’d like to mark your selection.
- Choose a type of pin and share a description of it.